I can’t help but notice that most of the books, websites and therapists (including me) always use the same wording when explaining what Reiki is.
And yet, clients most of the time still have no idea what Reiki is, unless they experience a first session.
I learned Reiki over 3 years ago, without knowing what it was, or before having had a treatment ever before. I hadn’t even heard about it until I was in a very low point in my life and started hearing my inner voice whispering “Reiki”. I was in need for deep healing. I urgently needed more peace of mind. I wanted to feel connected to something again. I wanted to be able to open my heart again. I didn’t know whether Reiki would help at all or not, but I was determined to give it a try.
Through many months of self healing and practicing on others I then discovered my real passion in life, or let's call it my life purpose: Helping people help themselves. I changed my career from working in the biggest marketing companies to becoming a Reiki and Meditation teacher in Geneva.
I consider myself incredibly lucky to be working with Reiki here in Switzerland, where Reiki is being reimbursed by many complimentary health insurances and where it's seen as a complimentary healing method.
So let’s look at a few facts:
- Reiki has been recognised by the UN Health as a complementary and alternative medicine.
- Just like the other traditional healing methods, such as Acupuncture, Shiatsu, Acupressure etc, Reiki works with that same energy (Chi in Chinese Medicine, Ki in Japan or Prana in India) by understanding that if energy doesn’t flow freely in ones body, this might cause all sorts of mental, emotional and eventually also physical symptoms.
- Reiki is a non evasive type of treatment where the client lies fully dressed on a massage table and the energy is administered by laying-on hands on different parts of the body (on the main energy centres), so that the energy can flow freely to the parts where it is most needed.
- A Reiki treatment works well in combination with any other medical treatments and reduces the many side effects of heavy medications.
- Reiki works preventative: ie. people who practice Reiki regularly will find that they rarely get sick. (I haven’t had any physical symptoms since I started practicing Reiki regularly – apart from a huge Migraine (gosh was I nervous) after I met Paulo Coelho and he showed interest in Reiki ;-)
- Reiki helps your creative flow. Ever since I started with Reiki I feel much more inspired and creative.
- Reiki is used in hospitals worldwide, hospices, during surgeries, in Spas: because Reiki can be used in so many diverse situations.
- Reiki is excellent during different life stages, such as during pregnancy, menopause, for little babies etc. For more information please click here:
- Since Reiki is a deep relaxation treatment, my clients always report a higher degree of mental clarity, emotional balance and overall feeling much lighter.
- Reiki can be a spiritual experience if people want to. Generally, my clients who feel lost, stuck in life, disconnected from everything and everyone always report that Reiki helped them find meaning in their lives again, some even their life purpose. (Maybe also due to the increase in mental and emotional clarity).
- Reiki is NOT linked to any religion, dogma or belief system. In fact I have treated people from many different nationalities and religious backgrounds.
Many times, when my clients are in a particularly stressed state of mind, they will do a Reiki Level 1 Workshop, so that they can use Reiki on a day to day basis, by giving themselves treatments as and when they need it. That's the beauty of Reiki - we can easily learn it in just 2 days and use it on ourselves to keep ourselves balanced, to improve our sleep and to stay physically healthy. Many of them then also enjoy giving Reiki to their family members, loved ones and friends, and a few others continue their Reiki journey until they become a Reiki Master and start working with it professionally.
Whatever your needs are right now, Reiki can always help. Whether you prefer a few treatments here and there, or if you prefer to practice it on yourself regularly, it's up to you to decide how far you want to go with Reiki.
So, how to pick a good Reiki School?
Unfortunately Reiki is not standardised anywhere in the world, meaning that Reiki teachers can decide on course content and length etc. You will find many schools offering Reiki courses online or offering all levels of Reiki in one weekend, so that you can become a Reiki Master without ever having practiced. These teachers in turn have not much to teach, since they have no real experience.
Therefore, here is a little check list for you to pick the right school for you:
- Check whether the Reiki teacher is registered with any higher body. For example in Switzerland, there is ASCA that makes sure that Reiki therapists had many hours of practice before they start teaching, as well as having had to attend additional courses, such as Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology before being accredited.
- Check how the teacher teaches the different levels: ie all in one weekend, or whether he/she wants you to first practice before going on to next level.
- Check whether the teacher offers "Reiki Share" days where students can get together to practice on one another.
- Compare prices and course content. Just because a Reiki school charges much more than the rest doesn't mean it's much better.
- Meet the teacher before signing up for a course. A good teacher will always be keen to talk about Reiki and the courses beforehand. Maybe even try a treatment before from the teacher to see whether you like the way he/she gives Reiki and whether you feel a good connection with the teacher and the school. I made the mistake to sign up in a school and to regret it later because I had never talked to the teacher before. I had based my decision solely on the price and the fact that this school was much cheaper than the rest.
How Reiki has helped me
As I have mentioned earlier, when I decided to learn Reiki I had never even heard of it. I just knew I was in need for deep healing and wanted to feel balanced again and feel that spark of life again that I had lost.
I had never been happy or fulfilled in the business world, working in various big companies and I had also not been fulfilled in my love life, which at that point in time was a desaster and caused one heart break after the other.
It got to a point in my life where I decided to take responsibility for my life and the way I was feeling. I stopped pointing my finger and blaming everyone and everything around me for me feeling miserable and started working on myself.
Reiki helped as it relaxed me deeply with each treatment. I started sleeping better again. I had more energy to do the fun things in life. I started opening up more and my confidence grew.
I felt so much more inspired again, I had lots of new ideas and projects I wanted to work on. I dared to leave the corporate world and to embark on the journey of self-employment.
Reiki helped me to be more focused, it helped to clear my mind and to concentrate on what's important in life.
I was able to forgive people who had hurt me so badly in my past and to move on. I was able to heal my heart and to attract the right man into my life.
I used to be sick a few times per year, now I don't even remember last time I had a cold.
There are so many ways that Reiki has helped me with and the best thing about it, is that I can give it to myself whenever I'm in need of feeling more balanced again.
If you live in Geneva, and would like a 15 min free chat on how Reiki can help you, feel free to contact me here.